About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Best Cheeses for a Birthday Dinner

I am a real cheese lover.  Cheese to me is an essential food group along with wine, chocolate and catfish.  Now I must admit that I haven't eaten cheese with my catfish, yet; however, that could change at anytime.  I enjoy cheese with many dishes. More often than not, I eat cheese by itself; no crackers, no bread, nothing; just cheese.



On several occasions, I have sliced really thin pieces of salmon, seasoned them with dill and freshly ground black pepper and cooked it over a low flame in a bit of olive oil. After turning them over, I have melted equally thin slices of  cheddar cheese over each piece. Delicious!


So what are the best cheeses to serve for a birthday dinner? I know there is probably a protocol and a way to choose the best cheese for a birthday party.  I am of the school that says, "put out some great cheeses, toothpicks, some cool crackers and slices of  a variety of breads, then tell the birthday guests to dig in."


As for the cheeses: there's Brie, Cheddar, Jarlsberg, Blue, Havarti with Dill, Muenster. Emmental (Swiss),  Camembert, smoked Gouda and just about any cheese you enjoy eating with crackers or bread.

And, have a great birthday dinner

No comments: