About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

East Fall Apple Dessert


I saw a recipe online recently for an apple crisp cooked in a microwave.  Being a cook who doesn't always want to take a long time for cooking and preparation, I decided to try it.  The flavor was delicious, however, it turned out that the topping wasn't really crispy.  It was a simple recipe to which I added a couple of ingredients I thought would add to the dish.  I was right.  It turned out well, like an apple pie without the crust. 

The topping is chewy and the inside was soft and juicy. I used 3 huge Stayman apples that I got from a local farmer's market over the weekend. They are sweet and tart all at the same time.  Actually, they were so large, they measured almost five cups.  You can use Granny Smith as the original recipe called for or other cooking apples. Enjoy.

Ingredients

4 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced
Juice of one lemon
¼ tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground coriander

For the topping

½ cup melted butter
¾ cup quick cooking oats
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice



In large bowl place sliced or cut-up apples. Add lemon juice, cardamom, nutmeg and coriander. Mix well together with wooden spoon.   

Place apples in an 8 inch square baking dish or a deep dish glass pie plate.  In another bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, oats and flour.  Spread this topping evenly over the apples.

Cook in microwave on high power for 10-12 minutes until apples are soft.  Let cool so topping will set.  Serve with ice cream or use a dollop of sour cream.

No comments: