About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fun Family Meal Idea-Super Moist Stuffing Muffins

Moist Stuffing Muffins


I think one of the most fun things I have done is to take stuffing and make it into muffins.  Technically, these should be called dressing muffins, because they are made outside of the bird, not stuffed into one.  Taking the traditional turkey stuffing fragrant with onions, celery and sage and making them into super moist stuffing muffins turns out to be a fun family meal idea.  Of course,  it's easy to just take a box of stuffing, mix it with water and make muffins.  That's fine if you're in a big hurry.  However, the delight you will feel when you hear the ooohs and ahhhs from your adoring family and friends is beyond compare.

Besides, the aroma of fresh cooked celery onions and sage wafting through your home is is like a tonic to your senses.  There is nothing like it.  It evokes memories of the Thanksgiving turkey preparations of childhood even if it is not Thanksgiving when you are making this recipe. My mother used the stock made from simmered turkey giblets to moisten the dressing.  She also used this stock as a base for her turkey gravy.  She never made these super moist stuffing muffins.  I am sure, however, that she would approve this fun family meal idea.




Ingredients


1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2-3 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 loaf bread, stale or toasted, torn into small pieces
2 cups turkey juices mixed with water, or chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 tsp ground sage
1 tsp poultry seasoning
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions


Preheat oven to 375° F

In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onion and celery slowly in melted butter until soft but not browned.   Turn off heat.  Add bread and dry seasonings and stir gently.  Pour liquid over the mixture, and pack tightly into greased muffin tins.


Bake 25-30 minutes

No comments: