About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Rotisserie Chicken Salad for Dinner and A Movie At Home

When I had my own personal chef business, I would cook for many couples who either had no time to cook because they both had demanding jobs or they just hated to cook.  As a personal chef, the idea is to cook meals for a week or two, package and label them with instructions and freeze them.  The first meal, however, was not one to be frozen, but to be ready for dinner and a movie when the clients came home that very evening.

Apart from the regular menu we had agreed on, one of my requests was whether I could do something with leftover rotisserie chicken.    As you might imagine, many of these power couples would buy a roasted deli chicken for a quick meal and wonder what they could do with it after the first day.  So I would make a simple rotisserie chicken salad.  The chicken was already cooked and well seasoned so it was just a matter of cutting up the chicken, adding some onion and celery, and perhaps apples, raisins, avocados or nuts, depending on whether one of them had a food allergy

It turned out to be a favorite.  It also happens to be a favorite of mine for dinner and a movie at home.  You can have this with crackers for lunch or as a sandwich on a hard roll or croissant.  You can serve this rotisserie chicken salad as a main course on Romaine lettuce or baby spinach leaves with baked sweet potato fries and a glass of beer.  I'm into pumpkin beer for the season.  I also like this with fresh asparagus.



Here's my recipe for a simple creamy rotisserie chicken salad.  In fact, I just made this one this evening.  This is great for dinner and a movie. In fact, I'm watching an old classic 1936 Perry Mason movie.

Ingredients

2-3 cups rotisserie chicken, cut up, skin and all
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 or 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
1/2 cup light mayo
2-3 Tbs light ranch salad or sour cream
1 tsp dried dill (flakes or seed)
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in bowl.  Add more ranch dressing if you want a wetter salad.  Personally, I make mine with lots of Ranch dressing  You could add walnuts or crunchy apple chunks. I also love this with chopped avocado and crispy  turkey bacon.



1 comment:

FoodThoughtsOfaChefWannabe said...

This sounds awesome!!! Gonna try with avocado!!