About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Break out of the Meal Rut-Rotisserie Chicken with Garam Masala

There are times when I just have a taste for something for which I have no real recipe.  I just know I want something to taste a certain way.  Earlier today I was with some friends who were going to an Indian restaurant for lunch.   As I was driving home, I was thinking how much I love Indian food.  The spices are not only flavorful, but so aromatic.  I was picturing what I had in my cupboard and refrigerator for some great Indian-tasting food for dinner.

One of my mainstays is Garam Masala, which I keep in my kitchen always.  I love it on chicken and other foods.  I was also thinking of the texture I wanted in my mouth.  Mashed potatoes, perhaps, or just some potatoes and onions with garam masala sprinkled on them.  In addition, I had the remnants of a rotisserie chicken I had bought from Costco a couple of days ago.  (I think, for the price, it almost a sacrilege to go into Costco and not buy one of the rotisserie chickens)

If you notice, I said I wanted some great Indian-tasting food for dinner.  Unfortunately, I don't really know how to cook Indian food as I mentioned to my friend, Joyetta, recently.   I love the spices that go into Chana Masala, because I really like chickpeas and so I keep that spice blend on hand.  For some strange reason, however, hummus does not excite me, at all.   In fact, I don't like hummus at all!  I don't know what it is!  Anyway, I really like the Sabji Masala spices and the Tandoori/BBQ spice mix in my menus, so they are also in my kitchen cabinet for my bidding.

Well, I have to beg the forgiveness of my friends, Joyetta, Gitima, Rischi, Aditya, Amit, Sweta, Saroj, Rohit, Shobhana and Anshu, to mention just a few, because I can just bet this is not a genuine Indian dish.   However, it was so delicious, comforting and satisfying, it was just what i needed and wanted. It went great with a new red French wine, Peuch Cocut Merlot, I was trying out.

 Ingredients:

2 medium sliced Yukon Gold potatoes
1/2 onion into chunks
1 tablespoon of olive oil (I always use extra virgin; don't ask me why)
1/4 cup of water
1/2 tsp  ground turmeric
1 tsp Chana masala spice mix
1/2 tsp Garam Masala or to taste
1 cup cut up rotisserie chicken
1/2 package fresh baby spinach


I cut up 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes and about a half an onion into chunks and put them into a non-stick skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil and about a quarter of a cup of water, if that much.  I sprinkled on a half a teaspoon of ground turmeric for the color and added a couple of pinches of cumin seed.  That probably came to about a quarter or a half a teaspoon of the seed.  I then added the Chana masala spice mix and let all of it cook covered for about 15 minutes.  Then I cut up about a cup or so of the rotisserie chicken, added in a half package of baby spinach and about a half a teaspoon or more of garam masala.  I let it cook for about 3 or 4 more minutes until the spinach wilted, cut off the stove and let everything sit for about 15 minutes, covered, before I dove in with both feet, or at least, with a fork.

Whoa!  All I can say is "OH MY GOODNESS! WAY YUM!"  Just the right amount of spiciness and zest.  Plus I have great leftovers for Monday lunch!

No comments: