About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Foods Can Bring People Together


Have you ever noticed how food can bring people together?  It is amazing that even the grumpiest curmudgeon  or the shyest of introverts can be brought to animated and extensive conversation when it comes to the subject of food.
It doesn't matter who we are or where we come from, whether we are vegetarian, vegan or lovers of poultry, meat and seafood, the scent of food, the sight of certain dishes or even something outside of the realm of food itself, can evoke heartfelt sentiments that take us back to childhood and family or to pleasant memories of a special meal in a distant place far away from familiar surroundings.  Just ask ask  people about their favorite comfort food.  That's a two or three day conversation, because nobody has just one.



When it comes to food, every country on the planet can boast of a vibrant history and proud heritage of, at least, one dish that has become a classic.  Food does more than just sustain life; it is love, life and the heart of society. Food brings people together. It is the shared flavors of friendship and community. 

Wherever people congregate, a long wait in the grocery line, a business meeting, a neighborhood festival or a date with old friends, the subject of food invariably creeps into the conversation.  Food breaks down barriers. More than anything else in society, food binds people together.  And, now, with so many foods imported and exported from many different places, we are all interconnected.

Our attitudes and behaviors center around food.  We may have learned how to behave or not behave at the dinner table.  We may have learned how to curb our selfishness at meals when we were children.   Mom said, "share" or "save something for someone else," or even, "think about all those starving children in...."

Food can set off an emotional charge also.  What do we feel when we hear that many people starve in many countries for lack of food production, while in others, people get certain illnesses because of eating too much food?   Food is a common denominator.  We all need it.  We all have different relationships with food. We may either love or hate it.  Or, it may be that we can take it or leave it. 

In any case, there's much to be said about food.  And, we always find something to say about it.  Are you a meat lover?  A vegetarian?  Do you love fast food, healthy food, sweets, snacks, big meals?  All of the above?  Believe me, of all the subjects in the world, everyone can talk about food.  Foods bring people together more than sports, movies or entertainment.  Just sayin.'

No comments: