About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Speaking of Catfish Family Appetizer

 

I haven't actually talked about catfish for a long while,  so I feel the need to get back to it. Catfish, in my view, was born to be dunked in milk or egg, coated with cornmeal and fried crisp and golden. Although my favorite is the fried catfish, there are so many other tasty ways to eat it.  I have used it for fish tacos and, particularly in this weather, in catfish stew spiced with Caribbean curry powder.  Catfish is so versatile that you can bake it, encrusted in grated potatoes, grill it or broil it. with garlic, herbs and lemon or lime.

 You can add it into your favorite pasta dish or in put some of the sweet little morsels into salads.  Or, for example, you can or use it in little pastries as appetizers for a dinner party.  (See recipe below) Be careful, though, you may end up indulging so well in the little pastries, you may find you have left no room for the main dish.


Chile and Cheese Empanaditas

Catfish and Goat Cheese Appetizers

Ingredients

1 - 15-ounce package folded, refrigerated, unbaked pie crusts (2 crusts)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 TBS butter or margarine
1½ pounds U.S. farm-raised catfish fillets, cubed
8 oz fresh goat cheese or soft-style cream cheese
2 TBS chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil, crushed

Directions
  1. Let pie crusts stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes according to package directions.
  2. Unfold pie crusts.
  3. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
  4. With 3 1/4-inch round cutter, cut 8 rounds from each pie crust
  5. In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in butter or margarine until tender.
  6. Add catfish; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until flakes easily.
  7. Use spoon to break into small pieces.
  8. Add goat cheese or cream cheese and basil.
  9. Cook and stir until cheese melts.
  10. Remove from heat.
  11. Spoon the catfish mixture evenly onto half of each dough round.
  12.  Brush edge of crust rounds with beaten egg.
  13. Fold crust rounds in half; press edges with fork to seal.
  14. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
  15. Brush tops with egg or milk. Cut small slit in top of each.
  16. Bake in a 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is brown.
  17. Serve warm or at room temperature.

This recipe is a take on a dish from the US Catfish Institute Cookbook

No comments: