About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Rambutan Exotic Asian Fruit

Today, I went to my favorite Korean grocery store which carries an extensive array of fresh Asian vegetables and fruits from Korea, Japan, Vietnam and China.  On display as samples for tasting, there were several offerings of fresh fruit; clementines, Korean melons and other exotic (at least to me) fruits being offered.   There were also these beautiful tiny fruits with funny looking little spindly things coming out of it.  The store had them as samples so I tried a half.  It turned out to be a Rambutan.  It was delicious, juicy with the texture and feel of a grape and just so sweet. 


I asked one of the store managers how to choose the best and ripe ones.  As we walked over to the section that held the fruit, she explained that the Rambutan is a relatively common tropical fruit  in many South Asian countries and easily accessible in her country the same way an apple is common to us here in the US.  She showed me what to look for in the ripe fruit and also pointed out which ones not to buy.  She said that any with black forming on the tips means that the rambutan is old or beginning to dry up.



She showed me how to open the fruit by using her thumbs to break the skin to peel away part of the spiny exterior to expose the fruit inside.  It then slips easily out of the skin, because the spines are very soft. The fruit actually looks  like a large white grape.   It has a seed inside and you just eat around the seed.  Wow, what a treat!

No comments: