About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

How to Make a Healthy Catfish Stew for Your Family






Catfish stew makes a hearty healthy meal for your family.  Fall and winter are top seasons for this tasty dish; however, I have been known to have this at any time of the year.  It doesn't take long to cook and the ingredients are simlpe.  Farm-raised catfish is available year-round.

If you cannot find catfish nuggets in your market, you can always find catfish fillets in just about any grocery store, Here's how to make a healthy catfish stew for your family.
Ingredients

1-1 1/2 lbs. catfish nuggets cut into chunks
2 Tbs. canola oil
2TBs flour
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 green, yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 to 1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
1 large can cannellini beans, drained
3 ½ - 4 c. vegetable, chicken or fish stock

Pour oil in bottom of a Dutch oven.  Heat over medium-low heat until hot; careful that it does not smoke.  Cook onions and bell pepper until soft for about 5 minutes.  Add flour and stir until well blended about 1 minute.  Add stock slowly, stirring until thickened. Add beans and remaining ingredients.  Add catfish. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.  Serve alone or over hot steamed rice.  Makes about 4 servings

No comments: