About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Catfish is Not Just for Fridays Anymore

When I was growing up in Annapolis, Maryland, we usually had fish on Fridays. We might have had it on other days, however, I seem to remember that Friday was the night for fish. Especially during Lent. Sometimes we would have baked Rockfish, also known as striped bass or hardheads (Atlantic croaker) because they were larger than the perch or spot. My mom would bake them with a tomato sauce.

I must say that the baked fish was my least favorite way for her to cook fish. I liked the sauce by itself and the fish by itslef, but together they almost wanted to make me gag. I used to wonder why she would ruin great fish like that. Now, of course, my palette has become more sophisticated and I enjoy fish with a tomato sauce from time to time. I don't usually cook it that way except perhaps when I saute catfish with fresh tomatoes and grenn or red peppers.
Although I loved the different kinds of fish we had, catfish was my favorite. After my dad would skin them, my mother would fry them. They were so sweet. I would be hard pressed to eat catfish from the waters now. The waters of the Chesapeake Bay where I grew up were much cleaner then. I still buy them, however, now catfish are farm raised. I keep catfish in my freezer, either fillets or in "nuggets," because I might have a catfish "attack" at any time, even for Sunday dinner. I generally fry the fillets (See photo above) and vary the seasonings; the nuggets are great fried, stewed or sautéed. Catfish is not just for Fridays any longer.   Even my restaurant favorites cannot rival my pan-fried catfish.  Yum!

No comments: