About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Warning Tips for Cooking Vegetable Meals for Non-Vegetarians


Just the word, vegetables, causes some people to have the same reaction as if they were eating a lemon. Especially when you first learn to cook, you may shrink in horror at the thought of having to a meal of just vegetables. There was a time when the thought of serving a dish with no meat was unappealing. Meatless meals were for those "weird" friends who all of a sudden became vegetarian..

Vegetables were a mostly lowly unnoticed addition to a meal. There was no variety.  They were there so you would have three things on your plate and, you could say you ate something nutritional. Primarily the green stuff was ignored and not just by children. Fortunately, times have changed!

Nowadays, meatless meals are exciting, filling and downright delicious. A warning, though: because vegetables are so perishable, they change when they are cooked and there are some tips to be aware of that will determine whether your finished dish looks and tastes good.

• Do not overcook. Doneness varies from vegetable to vegetable; however, most vegetables should be cooked briefly

• Vegetables that have tender parts and tough parts, like broccoli and asparagus, require special preparation so all parts get done at the same time

• For example, broccoli stems should be removed from the florets and trimmed. Asparagus stalks should be peeled. The base of Brussels sprouts should be pierced with a sharp knife

• Add vegetables to boiling salted water to cut down on cooking time and help minimize loss of flavor

• Mushrooms easily absorb water so rinse or wipe mushrooms with a damp paper towel

• Perk up steamed vegetables by adding a little lemon juice or olive oil. Toss them in a vinaigrette or add a little grated cheese

Home-cooked vegetable meals sometimes get a bad rap. Cooking one doesn't mean having unexciting or bland fare. Treat your vegetables well and you can have a tasty and satisfying meal.

Discover How to Make Your Favorite Restaurant Dishes at Home!  These Secret Recipes Have Finally Been Revealed... Click here!

No comments: