About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Fish and Seafood Cooking Tips from A Former Personal Chef

When I was a personal chef, the overwhelming request I got from my clients was for my seafood recipes. No matter what dietary challenges they faced, most could eat some kind of seafood. Many of the clients wanted tips for fish and seafood recipes so they could cook them on their own. Here are some general tips.

1. One of the most important things to keep in mind is that fish are very delicate and can spoil easily and quickly. Keep your seafood in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook it.

2. No matter what you may see on TV, keep cooked and raw fish separate when you are preparing a meal to avoid cross-contamination. And, make sure you wash your hands after handling raw seafood.

3. Fish will continue to cook even after you take it off the heat, so remove it just before it is done.

4. As I mentioned fish is very delicate, so turn it over only once so it will not fall apart. Fish cooks quickly and can dry out, so do not overcook.

5. Fish and seafood are versatile. They can be baked, broiled, sautéed, grilled, poached, made into stews and soups or cakes and salads. They can be pan fried or deep-fried and even smoked.

6. When frying fish, make sure to use a good quality oil that will not burn quickly. Many cooks use peanut oil because it has a higher heat rate. It does not burn as quickly as others and you can use it several times if you keep it refrigerated. I also use canola oil, however, it cannot be used more than once or twice, because it burns very quickly. Vegetable oil is my last resort.

7. Shell fish such as oysters, mussels and clams, should be cooked until the shells open, and then generally only about 30 seconds more. If they do not open, throw them away!

8. Shrimp should be cooked only until they turn pink. If using in a stew or soup, add them last. If they turn pink before the dish has finished cooking, remove them, because they will get rubbery.

I love seafood. My favorite fish of all is catfish. I love them fried, in a stew or sauteed with bell peppers, onions and tomatoes. You can cook your favorite seafood, too. I hope these tips will help.

No comments: