About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Frozen Vegetables and Rice Recipe with an Indian Spice Kick


This summer, a young intern from Korea stayed with me.  I had no idea she was a vegetarian and didn't have much in the refrigerator on that first evening that would fill the bill, except some frozen vegetables and jasmine rice.  So, I made a medley with an Indian spice that I think turned out well.  She said it was very good.


I chopped an onion and cooked it in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick saucepan over medium heat.   I put in a couple of cups of frozen peas and carrots, a cup of cauliflower and a couple of handfuls of French-style green beans; stirring gently to coat the veggies with the olive oil.  Then I may have put in a couple of tablespoons of water.


Next, I added a half a teaspoon of *garam masala, a teaspoon of curry powder, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon ginger, sprinkle of and salt and pepper to taste.  I covered the mixture with a lid and let it cook on low heat for about five minutes or so.  I made some microwave rice according to my daughter, Wendy's, recipe, and placed the vegetable mixture over the rice. 


Way yum.

*Garam masala is a fragrant and warm dry spice mix. I love the taste.  According to an Indian friend, Indian cooks add the garam masala about 5 minutes before finishing the dish.

I have recently started trying recipes from America's Secret Recipes.  They are copycat recipes from some of the most popular restaurants in America.  I can't say I've been to all the restaurants or even tried all the dishes on the menus of the restaurants I have visited.  However, many of these are easy to do and have a great taste.  Go here to check them out.

No comments: