About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Baked Shad and Pancake Day: Memories of the Coming of Spring

Every year when Fat Tuesday comes, heralding the beginning of Mardi Gras and also Lenten season, I remember back to my childhood.  Spring was fast approaching.  Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday, the official start of Lent, was called Pancake Day at my house.  It was the day when we ate pancakes for dinner. Pancake Day is celebrated in many places around the world.


As a rule, we had fish every Friday in my family.  When it was Lent, however, we would have also have fish on Wednesdays.  That was just fine with me.  My mom would often bake shad, a rather large fish from the waters of the Atlantic.  I must admit that this was not my favorite fish dish, covered with a tomato sauce.  However, I was overruled and did eat it.  Liked the fish itself, except for the many bones, I just could not reconcile tomato sauce over my fish. To get the bones to soften, you have to cook them for a long time.


Shad, though, also meant having shad roe, which I did love. I still love it; I just don't eat it anymore.  It is soooo rich.  Anyway, the big thing for me was that Shad meant that Spring was upon us! Yea!


I looked back at on my mom's old cookbooks to see if I could reconstruct the Baked Shad recipe.  This is close, I believe.  I admit, that I do not add sauce to mine.  I'm more likely to top whole baked fish with lemon and onion slices and dill.  However, since this is a "memory lane" type recipe, I'll stick with the original
Nope, I think I'll go with mine.  You can add tomato sauce over the top, if you like.


Baked Shad with(out) Tomato Sauce

1 large Shad, about 4 lbs
Olive or canola oil
Garlic salt and pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
Dried dill flakes
2 lemons, sliced
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175C).  Gas mark 6.   Wash and dry fish.  I always have the head removed by the fishmonger.  Lay half of the sliced onions and 1 sliced lemon on the bottom of a well-oiled baking pan or oven-proof dish.  Sprinkle fish with garlic salt, dill and pepper and lay on top of the lemon and onion slices.  Brush top and sides of fish generously with oil.   Place remaining slices of onion and lemon on top of fish.  Sprinkle with dried dill flakes.   Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water to bottom of pan.  

Cover pan with aluminum foil.  Cook for 2 hours.  Be careful of bones!

Discover the Secret Recipes From America's Most Well-Loved Restaurants and Save Money by Making them at Home!  Step up your cooking skills to the next level and impress your family and friends - click the image:

No comments: