About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Variations on a theme. The BLT with Avocado and More

I love BLTs. They are fast and eually good at breakfast or lunck.   I don't always have lettuce, though, and yet I love the taste of bacon, tomato and mayonnaise on a sandwich.  Sometimes I put a fried egg on my BLT.  Other times, it's bacon, tomato and an egg.  There are days when I add a slice of cheese to the BLT or a half an avocado.  I always use turkey bacon.


So here are some variations on the BLT.  All of these are great with lettuce or not.


Bacon, lettuce, tomato
Bacon, half avocado sliced with sliced plum tomatoes
Avocado, tomato, cheddar slices
Bacon, cheddar and tomato
Bacon, egg, and cheddar melted either on the bacon or the egg
Avocado, tomatoes, very, very thin onion slices, almost shaved
Egg, tomato and avocado


I usually use just mayonnaise, real or light.  I might also use a creamy salad dressing, like blue cheese or creamy Caesar or Bacon or Peppercorn Ranch dressing.  All these add variety to your sandwich and offer a memorable taste.  You can toast your bread or not.   And, use a variety of breads or a tool.  An onion roll is a good choice.


America's Secret Recipes cookbooks, Vols. 1 and 2, offer variations on different food themes inspired by popular restaurants in your neighborhood..  Click on the image and find out more.How about Applebee's  Tequila Lime Chicken or Chili's Chocolate Brownie Sunday?

No comments: