About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Beef Stroganoff Family Style

In a family with growing children, the cook, who is usually mom, has to rack her brain about what to fix for dinner every day.  When my children were younger, they did not want anything the least bit exotic.  The food had to taste good and look like something they would want to eat.   Did you ever notice how children have a way of turning up their noses in the most peculiar way when they are figuring out how not to eat something?  As a mother, you can almost see the invisible wheels turning in their minds.

Often, I had to think of familiar foods and yet something uncommon so the adults would not get tired of eating.  There is nothing like eating the same boring meals over and over.  So naturally, I began to put a kid-friendly spin on many of the recipes I enjoyed so they would be savory and yet satisfy everyone in the family.  Here is one recipe I altered.  It is easy and takes very little time to prepare.

Beef Stroganoff Family-Style

1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
½ pound lean ground beef
½ pound lean ground turkey
1 small can mushrooms
1 tsp crushed dried oregano or Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 can cream of mushroom or celery soup
1 cup light sour cream
1 Tbs olive or vegetable oil

Add oil to a deep heavy skillet or Dutch oven.  Sauté onion, garlic and ground meat in medium hot oil for about 3-4 minutes until browned, stirring frequently to break up the beef and turkey.  Add the next 4 ingredients and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.  Drain off excess oil if necessary.  Add soup and simmer for another 10 minutes.  Stir in sour cream.  Serve over egg noodles.

Serves 4-6Two Volumes of  200 favorite copycat recipes from America's Secret recipes from some of the most popular family-friendly restaurants in America.  Try them out yourself at home.  Your family will thank you.  Click image at left for details.

No comments: