About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Celebrating Super Smothered Chicken on Day 33

When I think of smothered chicken, I think of nice-sized juicy pieces of  chicken fried until brown; then smothered in homemade, not bottled, gravy and slowly simmered unil tender.  Takes me back to my childhood in Annapolis when my mother made this.  In a dish like this, good technique is a plus; however, love and passion can make the difference between a mediocre product and a memorable masterpiece. 

This is a classic Southern lip-smacking good creation  that I replicated from my mother's home recipe.  I must admit to adding some extra spices that she did not use.  You can omit the sage or the Italian seasoning, if you like.  On different occasions, I have used both, just one or neither.  It is your choice.  Just depends on your own taste buds at the moment.   This dish takes a little care in the preparation, however, you can leave it alone after the initial browning anf let it simmer till chicken and gravy are infused with the seasonings.



Smothered Chicken

1 large frying chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds, cut  into serving pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup flour seasoned with
   1 teaspoon salt
   1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
   1 teaspoon garlic salt
   1/2 teaspoon ground sage or
   1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
   1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2-3 cups room temperature water

Heat oil to moderately hot in a heavy skillet.  (My mother always used cast iron and I still do).  Put flour and the next 5 ingredients into a paper bag.  Shake well to incorporate spices.  Place chicken in baga and shake until well coated.  Remove excess flour. Be careful about putting chicken into the hot oil so it doesn't splash on you.  Brown the chicken well on both sides, about 5-6 minutes on each side.   Check oil temperature from time to time so chicken does not burn.  Remove to a plate.

Drain off all except 6 tablespoons of oil.  Lower heat and add chopped onions.   Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.   Sprinkle 6 tablespoons flour into the oil and onions and stir constantly over low heat until brown being careful not to burn.   Add  2 cups water very slowly stirring until thick and smooth.

Carefully put chicken back into the gravy and cover skellet.  Reduce heat to low and cook chicken until tender, about 20-25 minutes.    Gravy will thicken more as chicken cooks.  Add more water for less thick gravy.  Serve with steamed Brussels spouts and rice or mashed potatoes.

Serves 4-6 Want to make some great home-style recipes like those from some of America's most popular and well-known restaurants such as Olive Garden's Parmesan Crusted Chicken, T.G.I. Friday's Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip or Applebee's Southwest Steak Skillet? Click image at left to get more information.

 

No comments: