About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Global Cuisines and Culture: Italy

Every culture has its own cuisines.  Often the geography and culture of a country determine its foods, recipes and ways of cooking.  Take, for example, Italy; this is a country with varied regions that affect the kinds of cuisine produced.  As we know, sauce-laden spaghetti is not the only kind of food that comes from Italy.  This country of many regions produces different culinary delights depending on its geography.  In fact, the cuisine is so varied, you could spend a month or more trying just a few recipes from a given region.


Italy is a culinary Eden with its rich array of flavors, tastes and textures.  Food is a sensual pleasure and no food seems to evoke this experience quite like the creations from this Adriatic county.  After all, this is a country of Venice and its famous glass, gondolas and Risi e Bisi (peas and rice); of Rome and its famous art, architecture, fountains and Saltimbocca, a well-known veal dish;  of Tuscany and its villas, olive oil and wines; and Sardinia, the second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea known for its spectacular beaches, suckling pork and pecorino cheese.

Italian food is made up of fresh vegetables, seafood, aromatic spices, flavorful olive oils and wonderful pastas.  In the movies of Ancient Rome, the tables are always laden with rich food and drink.  You will be happy to know that many Italian recipes are very simple and easy to make.  Much to my personal delight, many call for anchovy fillets.  I love anchovies!  The flavor can enrich a dish without overpowering the flavor of the other ingredients.  Done right, you never know they are there.


Italian culture and cuisine has a rich history.  Discover for yourself some new Italian recipes.  Not just pizza and spaghetti.  Make your own pasta.  It's not as hard as you think.  Try something with anchovies for a change.


And, if you want to re-create some of the magic you can find in the recipes of some of America's favorite restaurants, click the image below.

No comments: