About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Brooklyn-Style New York Pizza Recipe Day 16 of 30


Even though the New York Jets don't actually play in New York, the state's pizza is famous among pizza fanatics.   It is great for any football or Super Bowl party.  Try this one.  I am always tempted to add anchovies on my pizza!

Brick-Oven Pizza (Brooklyn Style) Recipe    

Ingredients

    * 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
    * 1/4 cup warm water
    * 1 cup cold water
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 3 cups bread flour
    
    * 6 ounces low moisture mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
    * 1/2 cup no salt added canned crushed tomatoes
    * 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    * 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    * 6 leaves fresh basil, torn

Directions

   1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a large bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes to proof. Stir in salt and cold water, then stir in the flour about 1 cup at a time. When the dough is together enough to remove from the bowl, knead on a floured surface until smooth, about 10 minutes. Divide into two pieces, and form each one into a tight ball. Coat the dough balls with olive oil, and refrigerate in a sealed container for at least 16
hours. Be sure to use a big enough container to allow the dough to rise. Remove the dough from the refrigerator one hour prior to using.
   2. Preheat the oven, with a pizza stone on the lowest rack, to 550 degrees F. Lightly dust a pizza peel with flour.

   3. Using one ball of dough at a time, lightly dust the dough with flour, and stretch gradually until it is about 14 inches in diameter, or about as big around as the pizza stone.  Place on the floured peel. Place thin slices of mozzarella over the crust, then grind a liberal amount of black pepper over it. Sprinkle with dried oregano. Randomly arrange crushed tomatoes, leaving some empty areas. Drizzle olive oil over the top.

   4. With a quick back and forth jerk, make sure the dough will release from the peel easily. Place the tip of the peel at the back of the preheated pizza stone, and remove peel so that the pizza is left on the stone.

   5. Bake for 4 to 6 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the crust begins to brown. Remove from the oven by sliding the peel beneath the pizza. Sprinkle a few basil leaves randomly over the pizza. Cut into wedges and serve.


Looking to duplicate your favorite restaurant recipes like California Pizza Kitchen Original BBQ Pizza Copy Cat Recipe?  For details, click image.

No comments: