About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Orleans Saints Victory Gumbo




New Orleans is know for its wonderful food.  The first time I went to New Orleans, I fell in love with the gumbo.  I ate it everyday I was there.  So in honor of the New Orleans Saints victory, I offer this "Mom's" gumbo recipe with variations from the New Orleans website.  It is great for any party of dinner.  Make a big batch to serve to your guests.



 For Shrimp and Okra Gumbo

    * 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
    * 3 tablespoons of flour
    * l large chopped onion
    * 1 cup chopped celery
    * 5 or 6 cloves, chopped garlic
    * 1 cup of chopped green pepper
    * 1 can of tomato sauce
    * 1 can of tomatoes ("Rotel" tomatoes for a spicier taste!)
    * 1 pound, fresh sliced okra (or 2 boxes of frozen sliced okra)
    * 2 pounds of fresh shrimp
    * 2 - 3 cups water
    * salt & pepper to taste
    * 1 teaspoon of sugar
    * 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
    * 1 bay leaf

For Seafood Gumbo, add to the above:

    * 1 small can of crabmeat or 3 fresh gumbo crabs
    * 1 jar oysters

    * Slowly stir the flour into heated oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. Continue to stir until the flour is dark brown. Add the next 4 ingredients; stir until onions are clear.
    * Add tomato sauce. Stir until it gets crumbly or dry. Fry okra in another skillet until it is no longer sticky or stringy. Add tomatoes and fried okra.
    * Cook slowly, adding 2 to 3 cups of water--a little at a time. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in one teaspoon of sugar.
    * Cook for about an hour on a low fire, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of pot; adding water if necessary. Add the shrimp and the bay leaf (and if desired, the oysters and crabmeat).
    * Cook another 30 minutes to an hour, adding seasoning to taste.
    * Serve over boiled or steamed rice.


Find fabulous recipes inspired by America's favorite recipes.  Order your copies here.

No comments: