About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Super Bowl Perfection-Mediterranean Style Cheese Puffs



Most recipes for Super Bowl or Playoff parties are pretty standard.  This appetizer from sunny Spain in the Mediterranean is not standard.  It features creamy Manchego cheese which comes from sheep's' milk.  Genuine Manchego cheese comes only from the whole milk of manchega sheep bred and reared in the La Mancha region near Madrid. . If La Mancha sounds familiar, think , Don Quixote of La Mancha.  This cheese was mentioned in the novel.


This recipe, which comes from one of my favorite and most beautiful cookbooks, Mediterranean, also suggests using Gruyere cheese or another well-flavored cheese.  Be aware; these tasty little gems will get eaten up in a jiffy.  Give yourself time to make a few batches.  You'll need them.


Cheese Puffs


1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 whole eggs, plus one yolk
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup finely grated well-flavord cheese, 
         such as Manchego or Gruyère


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. (About 218 degrees F.)  Bring the butter, salt and water to a boil in a pan.  Sift the flour onto a sheet of  waxed paper, then pour the flour into the boiling liquid and stir it in very quickly.


Beat the mixture with a wooden spoon into a thick paste that leaves the side of the pan clean.  Remove the pan from the heat.


Beat in the eggs and yolk, one at a time, then add the mustard, cayenne pepper and grated cheese.


Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.  Lower the oven temperature to 350F (176.6C) and cook for another 15 minutes, until well browned. Serve these hot or cold.


Make sure to have lots of olives.  They are a great accompaniment to the cheese puffs.

Get other deliciously impressive appetizer recipes and  bites from the very  popular America's Secret Recipes cookbooks.  Your family and friends will keep coming back for more. Click image at left.


No comments: