About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dad's Baked Chicken for Sunday Dinner


On many Sundays at home, my dad would cook his specialty; baked chicken.  It was a simple recipe and yet very tasty and comforting.  He just cut up a chicken, put the pieces in a roasting pan and in a short while, they were ready with no fuss. The dish always turned out well.  This is  a whole meal in itself.  Just add green beans or peas or broccoli.


Baked Chicken


Ingredients


! chicken, cut in pieces
Garlic salt and pepper
Garlic powder, optional
1 onion, cut into slices and separate into rings

4-6 carrots, cut into thirds or  large chunks
4-6 potatoes, cut into chunks

1/2 stick butter or margarine
1 cup hot water
About 2 Tbs flour


 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Sprinkle chicken all over with garlic salt and pepper; add garlic powder.  Sprinkle flour lightly over the tops of the chicken.  Dot butter over all pieces.  Arrange carrots and potatoes around the chicken.  Add seasonings.  Put onion rings over chicken and veggies so flavor will penetrate. . Pour water into pan.  

Bake 30 minutes in the hot oven basting every 5 minutes or so with the remaining water combined with the pan juices.  Remove chicken and vegetables to a platter.  Make gravy from pan juices, if desired.


Get some great homemade tasting recipes from the best-selling copycat cookbook.  America's Secret Recipes.  Click image.

No comments: