About Me

My photo
I grew up in Annapolis, the capital of MD, on the Chesapeake Bay and the Severn River where we always had fresh fish and seafood. I love all things food: cooking, eating, trying new recipes and sharing what I make with family and friends. I must say that my most favorite (I have many favorites) food is fish and mostly catfish. So, I'm always seeking catfish recipes frolm all olver. I like my cooking, my daughter, Wendy's, cooking and my son, Dan's dishes, as well. I'm not a food snob; in other words, I also enjoy OPC, (Other People's Cooking) also. I've got loads of interests: cats and dogs, taking photos, Giant pandas, chandeliers and the arts. I am a former teacher, personal chef and recovering lawyer turned information marketer. I love (watching) football, basketball, extreme sports like mountain/rock climbing, snowboarding, skiing and surfing. My own extreme sports are swimming, walking and talking. Not necessarily at the same time.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Minnesota Vikings Land Super Easy Wild Rice Recipes



Minnesota Vikings fans bask in the beautiful land of 10,000 lakes.  It turns out that there are really more than 15,000, lakes, rivers and steams.  Minnesotans boast some of the best and most creative wild rice recipes, due to the quality of wild rice that is grown in the state.  Interestingly, wild rice is not rice at all.  It's a water-grass seed actually grown in Minnesota's cold waters and must be harvested in the traditional Indian way.  Here are just a couple recipes that I like, in particular, because they are delicious and SUPER easy

Microwave Wild Rice Casserole

1 cup uncooked wild rice
**2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs butter
½ cup butter
½ lbs sliced mushrooms
2 Tbs minced onion
2 Tbs minced green pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ cup chopped pecans

Wash and soak wild rice 1 hour in boiling hot water or soak 2-3 hours covered with tap water.  Use a 3 quart covered casserole.  Cook broth, salt and 1 Tbs butter on high for 6-7 minutes.  Then add rice and cook on defrost for 50 minutes.  In 1 quart casserole melt remaining butter.  Add mushrooms, onions, pepper and garlic.  Cook on high 2-3 minutes until tender.  Stir each minute.  Add the pecans and cook on high for 1 minute.  Add to  the rice and cook on defrost 10-15 minutes until liquid is absorbed Let stand, covered, 5 minutes after cooking.

Serves 6-8

**To keep this vegetarian, I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth

Shrimp and Wild Rice Loaf

1 cup wild rice
1 green pepper, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
½ can pimiento, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1can shrimp, deveined and rinsed in hot water
OR 1 can tuna, drained and rinsed
½ pound American cheese

Prepare rice. Heat mushroom soup and add cheese, stirring until smooth. Sauté celery, onion and green pepper in butter. Combine all ingredients with cooked rice and stir gently. Pat into greased loaf pan. Bake in 375° oven for 45 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Turn loaf out on platter. Serve with sauce as given below.

Shrimp Sauce

I can shrimp, rinsed and deveined
1 can cream of shrimp soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Heat together.
Get your copy of over 200 fabulous restaurant recipe replicas that are delicious and super easy.


No comments: